Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Are They Alike?

Today I want to rant on how watching a movie before reading a book can kill your imagination, especially when you love to visualize your own characters. But to make sure I don't get in trouble or criticized too harshly, this is my own opinion and you can politely tell me your perspective on actors and actresses who are casted as your favorite main characters*. I will only discuss three characters and their real-life counterparts but do not fret, this might be part one...

First off, I want to talk about Jace Herondale (or whatever his last name is). In the book, Jace is described as a cocky, headstrong, and sexy young man with a moody personality. He is fluent in several lines, is very neat even though he can be perceived as a messy boy, and extremely attractive. Blond hair, golden eyes, and walks around barefoot indoors. He is muscular because of all magnificent training he goes through and his cat-like smile/smirk is to die for. 

Now here is the person who was the first choice out of all the potential male actors:


ALEX PETTYFR
Image Courtesy of Hercampus.com
And here is what we got:


JAMIE CAMPBELL BOWER
Image Courtesy of Red Carpet News TV
I understand that casting directors can't find the perfect "Jace" or the perfect "Clary" but still. I do not approve. Jamie Campbell Bower is not the actor for a smart mouth guy. He doesn't have golden eyes or that smile that I envisioned on Jace. He looks kinda demonic from my perspective when I imagined him more angelic with a smirk that told you, you can't tell me what to do. 

I wish Alex didn't turn the role down...

Another role that I envisioned someone totally different is Annabeth Chase from Percy Jackson series. I don't want to be rude or anything but the actress, Alexandra Daddario is a beautiful young woman and a good actress, but I don't think she was the right pick for the already horrible movie. In the first movie she looked like this:
Image Courtesy of IMDB

In the book, Annabeth is described as having BLONDE hair... Let's take a moment and look at the picture. Does it look like she has blonde hair? NO! She does not. Also, Annabeth is supposed to have grey stormy eyes, highly intelligent, and a tom boy. In the movie, well, if you have seen the movie, you would understand. But if you have not seen the movie, don't. It's horrible. Just read the book. 

Another character, I would love to dissect is Four aka Tobias from Divergent. According to IMDB, Alex Pettyfer, Alexander Ludwig, Jeremy Irvine, and a bunch of other men were considered to play Tobias. Luckily we got.... THEO JAMES!! Ya! He's something special...
Image Courtesy of Mumfection.com
Don't you agree? In the book, Tobias is described as having dark blue eyes, deep-set eyes, and intricate tattoos drawing all over his back. Even though in the movie, Tobias has brown eyes, he still is pretty dreamy. I liked the casting director's choice... I think they picked well. 

Jace, Annabeth, and Tobias are all quite amazing fictional characters. Jace is probably the most amazing one out of the three, but his counterpart, Mr. Jamie Campbell Bower kinda kills off fictional Jace's awesomeness. He is the only actor I am sad that the casting directors(s) chose... No offense to Jamie. Annabeth's and Tobias's counterparts, Alexendra and Theo, are okay (Theo a little bit more than okay).

I understand that casting directors and directors cannot expect to find the perfect "Jace" or any perfect fictional look-alike actor/actress. But in some cases, I really think that some casting directors can try a bit harder. 

What do you think? If you agree or disagree with what I said please bring it to my attention by leaving a very sassy but kind comment(s)! I love to hear from you guys! Love ya bookworms!

*Disclaimer: I mean no harm to the actors and actresses who portray their characters amazingly! I am only do this to amuse my bookworms (you) and you should not take this too seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment