Sunday, March 8, 2015

Jacqueline's Dreams

Image Courtesy of Penguin
Brown Girl Dreaming is a book that needs to be read. I can't say that I loved it but is a book that really needs to be read by more people. The book was written in free verse which actually, for me, helped the story remain fun and interesting to read. This book was a fast read but it contained a lot of heartwarming details of how Jacqueline grew up.


Image Courtesy of Camera on Campus
Jacqueline, the main character, is the narrator of her own story. She was raised in South Carolina and New York during the growing Civil Rights movement. I found out, a little too late, that the Jacqueline in the story is the same Jacqueline who wrote the book.

That discovery made me rethink about the book and what Jackie had to go through during the 1960s and 1970s. Her father left her, her siblings, and mother when Jackie was at a young age. Although she was young, she still remembers her father's smile and face. It's really incredible to read about someone's own life but in a very different context. 

This book is not a memoir so if you don't like reading autobiographies and biographies, don't worry, it doesn't sound and read like one. 

Throughout the book, Jackie continues to grow into a strong young woman who begins to understand what is happening in the African-American community. She begins to notice actions and signs she did not notice before. The character development of this book is probably one of the very best. Jackie learns that the world isn't perfect and I really connect to that.


Image Courtesy of American Library Association
I would rate this book a "sit down and read" book because I loved the book but I didn't fell in love with it. I do encourage you to read the book though... This book doesn't contain rainbows and unicorns but a story of an innocent young African-American girl. Plus, it is a National Book Award winner and a Newbery Honor book!

If you have read this book or read it after reading this lovely post, please leave comments! I am always there if you need to geek out about something! Love ya bookworms!

No comments:

Post a Comment