Saturday, January 3, 2015

The Hobbit: Book vs. Movie

Image Courtesy of Ebay.com
It's time for another movie adaptation review! Yay! Come on say yay with me! On the count of three. One! Two! Three! Yay! Why are we yaying? Well, we are yaying because the last Hobbit movie has arrived in theaters and guess who saw it? I did! Now, I might get some facts wrong because it has been awhile since I have read The Hobbit but don't do any hatin' please. I would prefer constructive criticism more than anything, if you wouldn't mind. 

Okay onto the good stuff. As you know, I saw The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies, the last installment of Peter Jackson's Hobbit franchise. I thought it was great with excellent battle sequences and everything but of course there were parts I was questioning. But I don't want to focus on the last movie but all three movies together with book. 

I must say that the movies were definitely action-packed and had the budding romance but the movies weren't as faithful to the book as the Lord of the Rings were. For the next part, there will be spoilers but I think, if you were a book nerd like me, you would have already seen it. I will give you three examples of how the movie strays from the literary counterpart. 

Image Courtesy of Lotr.wikia.com
One example is the character, Tauriel. She made her appearance in the movies because Peter Jackson really liked (not romantically) the actress, Evangeline Lilly, and invited her to act in one of J.R.R. Tolkien's other stories. Tauriel's presence, for me, was to strengthen the girl power in the movie because there weren't many women who were kick-ass in The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings. Truthfully, I liked her because she had a Legolas quality in her. 

Another example is the love triangle between Legolas, Tauriel, and Kili. In the book, Legolas and Tauriel weren't not supposed to make an appearance at all, but every movie has to have a romantic aspect. But in the end, Tauriel had to choose someone and that someone was Kili. Sadly, the growing romantic atmosphere wasn't as strong as it was in other movies and books, therefore I was not impressed. 

The last example I will rant about is Gandalf's side quest to find the coming darkness or whatever it was called. The darkness turned out to be Sauron, who later is the antagonist in the Lord of the Rings franchise. As I recall, I don't think Gandalf was searching for anything in the book. Sure he was absent a lot but I don't think he was trying to find something. It was cool to see Gandalf, Elrond, Saruman, and Galadriel all together for a intense battle scene though. That was pretty wicked.

Image Courtesy of Screen Rant
I apologize for attacking The Hobbit movies but I thought the book was a bit better, of course. I don't mean any harm but there were a lot of problems I saw in the three movies but overall, I really liked them because they were action-packed and funny, at some parts. I think Peter Jackson needed to add more characters and subplots so that the movies could be made into a not needed trilogy but hey, it kinda worked. 

If you agree, disagree, or just plain hated what I wrote, please leave something in the comments... And make sure it is constructive criticism! Thanks for listening to my ranting!

Oh! I want to share this cool website that I found but it is more irrelevant than relevant to what I was talking about. Hopefully, you will enjoy it as much as I did, so here!

No comments:

Post a Comment