Thursday, November 27, 2014

Finishing One of the World's Best Series!


Rick Riordan's sense of humor is outrageously funny!

A few weeks ago, I finished The Blood of Olympus. Now you might be saying, "big deal" or "who cares?" but let me tell you... I care! I remember picking up the first book, The Lost Hero when I was in fifth grade. All the book geeks at my school were psyched because they had finished the Percy Jackson series like I did and were craving more of Rick Riordan's brilliant writing.

Now four years later, I have read the very last book, therefore completing the task I had set for myself when I read the first book of The Heroes of Olympus series. 

Enough of my gushing. I will attempt to convince you that you should pick up every single one of Rick Riordan's series right after you read this post. I'll give you five reasons.

Image Courtesy of Pinterest

1. If you love a good laugh when you are down in the dumps, Rick Riordan will surely pull you out of your dark brooding state and make you smile or even laugh out loud. The way he writes will make you experience the emotions of the characters like you are in the story too. Plus, who can't resist a good sarcastic comment once in awhile?

2. Who doesn't like well-written characters? Rick Riordan's skill of manipulating your feelings to match those of the characters' is incredible. Everyone in Percy Jackson, The Heroes of Olympus, and Kane Chronicles are full of smart-mouth comments, humorous comebacks, and touching words of encouragement that will make you smirk. The dialogue has a special touch that no other author has. Here is an excerpt from The Lost Hero that proves my point:

"Even before he got electrocuted, Jason was having a rotten day."

3. Each book is told from a different character's perspective which makes you experience more of the story than with just one narrator. I know, it might seem confusing at some times but once you understand what is happening you will get the hang of it almost immediately. There are many side stories and problems that intertwine with the main goal but ultimately the characters are able to solve the problems while completing the main goal.
Image Courtesy of Pinterest

4. All of Rick Riordan's books are about mythology: Greek, Roman, and Egyptian. Even though it's not the actual retelling of the myths, Riordan incorporates the gods/goddesses and mythical creatures that try to help or kill the heroes. Even if it is not entirely accurate, you will learn a little more about mythology that you can add to your useful fact compartment of your brain.

5. Last but not least, it's awesome. That doesn't describe much but I can't tell you much without spoiling every single book! Rick Riordan's style and ideas are unique and make a great story to be told. His way of telling the stories of each hero is remarkable and the way he pulls you into the book is funny and leaves you craving for more.

Hopefully, I was able to convince you with these words of wisdom but if I didn't... Well, you are missing big time on the world's best series ever! 

No comments:

Post a Comment